I wanted a way to show dual relativistic phase of red shift in binary stars by distance from FITS data and so I was testing with my Einstein game scores to see how to do a 3D plot. What I discovered is that matplotlib is .99 in Ubuntu 10.04 and so I downloaded the source and changed my "PYTHONPATH" to point at the new install point. In the process I learned how to do a backport, which may be helpful in the future. I discovered one problem which I assume was pythonic unicode something or other. In the file "genericpath.py" the following change had to be made.
def exists(path): """Test whether a path exists. Returns False for broken symbolic links""" try: st = os.stat(path) except os.error: return False return True
def exists(path): """Test whether a path exists. Returns False for broken symbolic links""" try: st = os.stat(str(path)) except os.error: return False return True
So this is a scatter plot with a color array to set colors at particular times in the sequence. I wanted to know if stars have a transverse relativity component, which is part of my attempt to implement a transverse relativity drive. What I was trying to understand is how red and blue shifts change with the rotational velocity of relativistic binaries or perhaps black holes with rotating stars. It would seem that if recession velocity is near "~c" then (~c-angular velocity) and (~c+angular velocity) would show a transverse shift in frequency that would indicate actual recession velocity from the data. If angular velocity was ~c also, then I would expect a different relationship between opposite sides of a rotating pair viewed "edge on".