Fighting a Python script

I am relearning my Python again from scratch as I must have missed some of the more subtle aspects and I need to integrate PDB ( protein database files ) DNA data bases, blender, "C" code in antfarmgl and conversions of the vertex arrays that form the basis of makehuman and I am modifying to be generic as a continuously variable HOX from sponge to worm to insect, to vertebrate and thus all potential forms that can be generated.

I am also playing with scanners for a customer. This reference at tldp ( The Linux Documentation Project ) was helpful.

Useful commands from TLDP that work easily and seem to be consistent in their action. usb.ko is present with libusb so that is not the issue.


sane-find-scanner

scanimage -L

scanimage  --format pnm > outfile.pnm

I am having some issues with the "sane" interface ( scanner access "not" easy ) which are not so easy and the program seems to infinite loop on itself sometimes. It seems to work at the command line well, so I will try that a few times , now and again, to see if it hangs and I can get some debug information of what it thinks it is doing when it goes to sleep. I suppose it could just be pining for the fjords. My customer has the same problem with a different scanner and if this keeps up it will reflect negatively on my suggestion that Linux could be a useful complete system for their office. I may just do a quick Qt project with scanimage as a back end and see if that will do it for them as they just want scan to email and not all the other stuff like OCR and much elegance in choices that they don't understand. It seems to have too many choices and I agree that if I were a graphics artist I might want to adjust some of those things, however if you just want to get a piece of paper to show to somebody it is unnecessary complication or at least confusion of a sort.

1 comments:

Paul Mohr said...

So I reread the book and the indent seems sensible now and I have a greater grasp of the language as a whole and the theory behind it all. There are some good aspects to it and I will continue to study it as I encounter problems and likely it will require me to read the book again, with a tour of the online resources available. It is a very clean method and the reduction of key strokes in specifying While, If and other things saves some time and increases readability. It does make a difference when trying to understand other people's code. The full on object oriented approach is definitely the way to go, the only thing I find daunting is the same thing as CPAN, how do you know if somebody has already coded a lib function for what you need? I guess I could just assume so and look for it.I made a couple quick Tk frames and some Qt frames and that is fairly simple from Python, so I will probably find that useful in the future.

Contributors

Automated Intelligence

Automated Intelligence
Auftrag der unendlichen LOL katzen