Lazy user scripting

I am a basically lazy person and if I can script or program something I will do that instead of remembering how to do something or doing all the typing. I like to check for updates when I see security issues with packages I use and I could just "cron" something but I like to do what I want when I want. So I right clicked on an empty space on the desktop and selected "create new", then "Link to application" to start and then I opened a console window and "vim updatecheck" and pressed the "Insert" key then typed in "sudo apt-get update" then I pressed "Esc" then "w" then "q" and it was written. I then did "chmod +x updatecheck" then "mkdir bin" then "cp updatecheck bin/" then I modified my desktop created a desktop element ( right click on icon ) ( select propeties ) then in the -Application- tab at the -Command entry box- to read "konsole -e updatecheck". I also made an XPM from an SVG, but I may lay that out another day.

So now when I get the urge for this or any of the other impulse programs, I just click away on the desktop and like magic it is done.

0 comments:

Contributors

Automated Intelligence

Automated Intelligence
Auftrag der unendlichen LOL katzen